Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Top 50 Things of 2014




These are my top 50 favorite TV shows, movies, board games, podcasts and songs of 2014. There are a lot of movies I haven't seen yet in 2014, so I will add them in later in the next few months. As well as the new games I have yet to play. But as of now, these are my 50 favorite things.






50. Marry Me


Marry Me is a show with a lot of promise. It is my the creator of Happy Endings and stars Casey Wilson and Ken Marino, both who I really like. The ensemble is starting to come together well. The early episodes followed the formula of "oh no, I noticed something that makes me question this marriage. Then third act realize something that makes them think that they were meant for each other"




49. Let's Be Cops


I think I would of disliked this movie if it didn't star Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr. They make this movie. It's pretty silly movie but pretty funny and entertaining.




48. All about that Bass - Meghan Tranior


I thought it was about the fish before a heard it, so I was set to like it. But then I realized it was about butts and I liked it more! There aren't enough song about butts. There was only 700 of them released this year.


47. The Theory of Everything


Total Oscar bait but it's a pretty good movie




46. Guardians of the Galaxy


Don't hate me, I fell asleep during most of this movie. But what I saw, I really liked. I was tired and saw a 11PM show. Needs a rewatch and maybe rerank.




45. La Isla


It's a light game, but still very Feld.




44. Machi Koro


Good filler game. Easy to teach, has some engine building and strategy to it, but still requires luck.




43. Girls Chase Boys


42. Blank Space - Taylor Swift


First Taylor Swift album to have two songs I love on it






41. Big hero 6


Solid Disney flick.


40. The Interview


Pretty funny movie, not worth starting WW3 though.





39. Amazing Race 25


After a lackluster All Stars season (John and Jessica, Team You Tube and Country Singers aren't quite All Stars, bring back Ken and Gerard. Did we need to see Margie and Luke a third time? If there would be a third timer it should be Charla and Mirna and Danny and Oswald) this season was breath of fresh air. Most teams were either entertaining or good racers or both. The whole final 6 I wouldn't mind winning and that is rare. Wrestlers were one of the funniest teams in a while. The Cyclists were a super strong team that took a chance that didn't work out and went out in 5th but still would rank among the best F/F teams of all time. Dentists, Scientists and the sufer girl with one arm all added good stuff to the season.


38. Tabletop


I look forward to Will Wheaton's You Tube series Tabletop every Thursday when they have a season. Even if the game sucks, it is usually an entertaining episode. There might be better play and more complexity with other run through shows but Tabletop is about the entertainment and I appriaite what it does for the hobby.








37. Kroll Show


This is the season Kroll Show really popped. I like that its a new spin on using reoccurring characters. Merging the characters together really worked like C-Zar and Publizity. Wheels Ontario is still my favorite though, that and Too Much Tuna.




36. Neighbors


Solid funny movie. One of the funniest movies this year.








35. The Middle


Underrated show IMO, Heck if this show hasn't grown on me more and more over the years.




34.. Lego Movie


Just good fun from beginning to end. Glad the makers of Clone High are finally getting their due. Clone High is the new Freaks and Geeks. Great show, creators get their due 8-10 years later.


33. Concept


Great new party game.


32. Big Brother 16


Way better than last season. A lot of likeable people to root for like Zach, Donny, Hayden. It had maybe the 3rd best player of all time Derrick. He's like Will and Dan level good. Caleb was also very entertaining. We even had a villain to hate, Frankie.




31. Archer


Season 4 felt like same ol Archer just not as good as the prior seasons. Season 5 however, was a great change of pace. A smokey and the Bandit theme where they smuggle and try to sell cocaine the whole season with hillrious results. A true return to form.


30. Mindy Project


This show actually turned into a good show this year. It had always been just a show I watched with no real interest for the first 2 years or so. I always thought it had some potential but never reached it until now. The Mindy/Danny relationship is working for me as is the addition of Adam Pally ( although he is leaving the show soon) works.


29. I - Kendrick Lamar


Kendrick Lamar might be my favorite rapper now that never appeared on Community.


28. Don't Stop or We'll Die


I've been waiting for a new album from these guys for 3 years and this did not disappoint. Lisa, The President's Beer and Blood are standouts.


27. Weird Al - Mandatory Fun


The 7 videos in 7 days to plug his new album was a awesome idea. Weird Al is still on top of his game. Somehow he took two things I don't like, people who correct grammar and Blurred Lines into maybe the best song on the album.


26. Veronica Mars movie


This long awaited movie did not disappoint. Felt like the same ol' gang.






25. Muppets Most Wanted


Not as good as the first one but the songs might actually be better. Bret McKenzie is a genius.


24. Splendor


I had a 11 game winning streak at this at one point. Easy to teach game that also has a lot of strategy to it. Deserved to win the Spiel over Camel Cup.


24T. Boyhood


Very well done movie that follows a boy from ages 6-18. Good acting and story throughout, felt like you got to know the boy and the family.


23. Impractial Jokers


Maybe the show I laugh the most out loud at. These guys work so well as a team together. Easily the best of the hidden camera shows ever.


22. 22 Jump Street


I think this improved upon the first one. The meta jokes still work.


21. Review


Finally Andy Daly is getting some mainstream attention. This was the perfect vehicle for him. I give Review 5 stars.


20. Harmontown


It is essential listening to a Harmonite like me. Dan Harmon has one of the most unique minds out there and we get to hear it for 2 or so hours every week.


19T. Broad City


Comedy Central killed it this year with great new shows. The chemistry between these two friends is awesome. Plus, Hannibal Buress!


19. Parks and Rec


Not it's best season. But a ok season is still one of the best shows on TV. And I am very much looking forward to the 3 years later season. I expect this to be higher next year.


18. Sweatpants - Childish Gambino


I bought Because the Internet but I only really listen to this, 3005 and a few others. I think he tried a lot of different stuff that didn't quite work with me, but this is standard Gambino and it's one of his best. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is for beginners, you don't even know.


17. Comedy bang Bang TV show


Another great year for this show. It has become a reliable good show this year. It didn't have as many great episodes as last year. I'm glad it's airing a lot more episodes.


16.South Park


Wow. 17 years in they bring out one of their best seasons ever out of nowhere. Usually it's some ok episodes with the occasional great one. But this season had a bunch of great episodes. It was helped by the random decision to have continuity between the episodes. Randy Marsh remains one the best characters on TV and further cemented that with his being Lorde ( ya ya ya).


15. Too Many Cooks


Yea, this was brilliant IMO. Every time you think they would wear out the joke, it took a new, weird, unexpected turn. People being the credits was amazing. Absurd comedy at it's best.


14. Comedy Bang Bang podcast


Technically (no down boo over) this was below the TV show, but I just listened to the best of the year and there was some great episodes. Oh Golly Part 1 & 2, the Don't Stop or We'll Die episode, Christmas special with Ho-Ho, another great Time Bobby episode, Hollywood Facts, JW Stillerwater and Solo Bolo. I'm sure I forgot some great episodes.






13. Bob's Burgers


Not much new here, it's still remains one of the best shows on TV.


12.Never Not Funny


Same with this one, it remains one of the best podcasts in the business. The move to Earwolf has worked out great, especially now I get two episodes a week with my players club membership. Getting my name mentioned a couple of times this year on the podcast doesn't hurt.



11. New Girl


I liked season 3 more than most. I thought the Nick- Jess relationship was handled well. It just didn;t have the spark of season 2. Season 4 brought that spark back. "Background Check" might be one of the best episodes of this year and best of the series.


10. Five Tribes


This is thus far my favorite board game of 2014. I went out a bought it a few weeks after I played it. It has a lot of interesting mechanics I like. All the ways to get victory point seem fairly balanced to me. Every game seems different to me.


9. Survivor: Cayagun


This is one of the best seasons of Survivor of all time, which is impressive in it's 28th season. There was a great cast of characters such as Tony, Spenser, Kass, Woo along with unpredictable tribal councils. I lot of it had to do with Tony, one of the best characters Survivor has had in a while.




8. Nathan for You


The second season of Nathan for You did not disappoint. In fact, I would say it was even better. Dumb Starbucks was great ( I sing Shave Tonight everytime I shave), but my favorite was the Souvenir Shop episode. Every part of that is brilliant. I wish I had a ticket to that East Los Angeles Film Festival. Guy Farting on Command was robbed. Awkward comedy at it's finest.




7. Shake It Off


Again, a catchy pop songs wins Sean's song of the year award. I fucking love this song despite the fact it is my least favorite song topic ever. Waaaaaah someone once said a bad thing about me on the internet, I'm going to make a whole album about it and the paparazzi. Ugh. But this song is great and will be on my Spotify for years to come. Oh wait. C+


6. BoJack Horseman


It started of as a funny show about the entertainment business but then, wowza wowza bo bo bowsa, out of nowhere it became this super deep show about life and depression while still being hilarious. I literally watched the whole season in 1 day. I could not stop. And I have rewatched it more than once. Great voice cast with Will Arnett, Paul F. Tompkins and more. Awaiting the next season, this shows hay day I feel is far from over. Get it? Cuz horses eat hay. C+




5. Brookyln 99


Last year I had said that this was a show that worked from day one. And it continues to be one of the best shows on TV. The cast just gels so well, you can put any combo of people together and it works. Andre Bruagher might be the best supporting actor on TV right now, he is so good. C+


4. Rick and Morty


Another shows that was brilliant from day 1. I put it at number 12 last year based on two episodes. That hunch was right. The writing on this show is top notch. The show has created many expansive universes in just one short season. C+


3. Harmontown Movie


Dan Harmon is such an interesting character a documentary about him was never not going to place high. I was super excited for this movie and it did not disappoint. Despite the fact that "Chicken Noddle Man" or "Pringles Dick" don't appear at all! It could of been 2 hours of Dan's "I fucked your mom raps" and I would have loved it. But it a doc that really get's into the psyche of Dan Harmon and also tells a great story about Spencer Crittenton, which made me appreciate him more.  C+


2. You Talking U2 To Me?


God, I love this podcast. The 12 or so episodes so far are the crowning achievement of podcasts. Fuck Cereal. This should be the podcast everyone is talking about. It's basically two hours of glorious tangents and 30 minutes (maybe) of U2 talk. Adam Scott is in the running for my favorite person right now. The Staind Glass, PFT episode and Commentary special are just brilliant uses of the medium. The only podcast that is possibly better is Talking Bout Turtle. This may be my favorite podcast of all time, so I will give the highest grade I can ever give a thing. C+






1. Community


Community once again tops my year end list. It took a year off, not just from number 1 but from the list altogether. This was a great comeback for one of my favorite shows of all time. The Ass Crack bandit, Pierces will ep, Troy leaving hot lava episode and the Meow Moew Beanz all rank super high on the best Community episodes ever countdown ( expect that soon).
I'm just so happy to have my show back.




No comments:

Post a Comment